Sunday, June 27, 2010

Siena/Francis House 5k

So, I started the Couch-to-5k program with my neighbors a while back. I was doing pretty well at running 3x a week for a while. Then I had troubles running on Sundays for whatever reason, so I was running 2x a week. Then it got to the point where I was only running 1x a week. So, I decided that I was probably going to walk most of the race.

I wasn't exactly sure how to sign up because it was separate for runners and walkers. I was planning on starting off running and then walking. Russell told me to sign up for the run and that I only had to run the first part and the last part and no one would even know. :-)

We started with 4, but by race day there were only 2 of us able to go. Andrea and I went early to get our T-shirts and bibs, then our husbands were supposed to meet us there. We grab a drink and a snack with the intent of handing it over to one of our hubbys. I was getting nervous about signing up for the run vs the walk because they had completely different bibs and were starting later. Then I saw a lady in a wheelchair with a runners bib on, so felt a little better. I was on the phone with Russell (who was having stroller troubles) when the race started. So, off I went with my Gatorade, banana, and granola bar in hand. This was not motivation to run very far.

So, I ran for a little bit, then walked. I pretty much cursed Russell the entire time because I had the stuff in my hands still. The granola bar did end up in my bra, but the banana was a topic of conversation that I had with some guys who passed me. Oh and the man pushing the lady in the wheelchair FLEW passed me. I finished in just under an hour. I was disappointed. I had hoped I would have done better, but I didn't push at all myself at the end because I was too mad. I'm pretty sure I was the last "runner" to finish. But, I guess the important thing is that I FINISHED. I did see some "walkers" that had to stop, sit on a bench, and have a cigarette (Nice, huh?). The good news is I have my first 5k under my belt and I set the bar pretty low to beat my time for the next race! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment