Friday, February 15, 2013

Delilah is 3!

Three years ago today, I didn't know it yet, but I had the distinct pleasure of meeting the most hilarious, spunky, brave, and stunningly beautiful little girl that I have ever known.  On that day, she changed my life, but in a way that was different that having my first baby.  I had a whole new set of challenges - and I mean so much more than learning how to juggle two sets of needs.  I had to figure out how to fight my maternal urge to shelter my little girl forever and to teach her how to be strong and independent.  I was giddy with the thought of dresses, Mary Jane shoes, and braiding hair.  My stomach knotted at the thought of PMS and broken hearts.  I fought back tears as I thought about shopping for prom dresses and a wedding dress.  And then my heart swelled as I thought about watching my little girl parent children of her own.  Yes, I did realize that I was getting way ahead of myself as I rocked my newborn baby to sleep, but there is just something about the bond between a mother and her daughter.  And in an instant, I could feel the lifelong bond.

Delilah is such an anomaly to me.  It is just amazing to me that she can be so different, yet so much the same.  Put her in a line-up with her brothers and some people would wonder if she was actually related to them.  She stands out with her light hair and sky blue eyes, compared to their dark hair and darker eyes.  But, put her with her cousins and she mixes right in - and she's not even related to half of them by blood!  She is just as head-strong, brave, and loud as Jameson is careful, sensitive, and laid-back.  But, they are two of the most loving individuals that I have ever met.  When Delilah was a baby, I was really sensitive to people comparing her to Jameson.  Jameson was a VERY easy-going baby.  I felt like people were saying that Delilah wasn't a "good" baby (for the record, ALL babies are good babies).  I would, however, say that Delilah was born a diva.  She was a fairly happy and easy going baby...unless she was upset about something.  Then she would screeeeeeeam at the top of her lungs.  We would laugh that she had two volumes - silent and top of her lungs.  She's still kind of like that.  :-)  My favorite story of when I was pregnant with her was that when I would brush my teeth, every time I would lean over the sink to spit or whatever, she would push back against the counter.  It makes a lot of sense now that I've met her!

I know I may be a bit biased, but I think that Delilah is brilliant!  She has so much personality that she can light up just about any room.  She can hold her own with the older kids so well that I often forget that she's "only" 3.  She's very excited to start preschool in the fall.  She already knows how to spell her name, she can recognize all of the letters and numbers.  She knows the days of the week.  She is working with Jameson on counting to 100.  She will go down any slide with no fear.  She loves to climb, run, and jump.  She can do a somersault.  She is a genius with comedic timing.  She is so nurturing, whether it's with a real baby, such as her brother or the babies we watch or when she's tucking one of her baby dolls under a blanket for a nap.   She can quote some of her favorite TV shows.  She likes to run very, very, VERY fast!  She likes spinning in a circle until she falls down.  You can see the pure joy in her when she gets so excited about something and she has such a zest for life that it's hard not to join in the fun when you're around her.  She is so incredibly beautiful, with her curly, dark blonde hair and clear blue eyes.  And my very favorite part, her angelic little voice - especially when she's saying something very thoughtful and deep...or something totally naughty (like "see ya, suckers!")

Happy 3rd birthday, Baby cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment