Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cloth Diapers!

As most of you know, I started dabbling in cloth diapers when J was a baby. I wanted to save some money and reduce the amount of chemicals exposed to his skin. Oh yeah, and something about it being better for the environment. :-) I bought a bunch of BumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers. I decided on them because they seemed the most like disposable diapers. Russell made me get mostly white - he's so practical! :-) Here is a picture of Jameson in his BG 3.0s at 3 months, isn't he cute??
We used them pretty regularly until he turned 6 months and started eating solid food. Then the diapers weren't so easy to clean anymore and I had trouble keeping Russell motivated to use cloth.

Well, about a month or 2 ago, I went to a cloth diaper party hosted by Top to Bottom Baby Boutique. Prior to this, I didn't realize there was a place locally that I could buy cloth diapers and accessories!! I went to the party and learned about the different types of diapers. I was able to ask all the questions I had and all of them out. I bought some different types to try on the kids. They are so soft and adorable! So, cloth diapers have definitely made a comeback in our house. I can already see the benefits! With two in diapers, we were going through an INSANE amount of diapers! But since the revival of the cloth diaper, we haven't bought a new pack of diapers for D and we've bought just one for J - we're not as good about keeping him in cloth. But, J is quicker to tell me when he needs his diaper changed (hopefully that will help him prepare for potty training!) and he likes to pick out which print of diaper he wants to wear. We have FAR fewer leaks at night. In fact, 2 nights ago, J's overnight diaper wasn't dry yet, so I put him in a disposable and we had a massive leak! Oh, and when I get tired of the styles or prints that we have, I can re-sell them and get something new!

I recently ventured into the area of cloth wipes. It just makes sense if you are already using cloth diapers! I bought a bunch of MonkeySnuggle wipes with one of their grab bags. I like them a lot. They have fleece on one side (super soft!) and terry cloth on the other (for those times you need to scrub a little). So, for anyone wanting to try them out - Top to Bottom Baby Boutique is currently doing a giveaway for MonkeySnuggles cloth wipes. Head on over to Robyn's blog and see the details on how to enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment